Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dear God... Fond Childhood Memories

I have always had an intense and passionate relationship with books. I love reading and when I was young, all who were close to me knew that whenever they wanted to give me a gift, a book was their surest way of putting a smile on my face.

one of the books I remember fondly is a book with a compilation of 'Dear God letters'. It contained questions from young people all over the world, addressed to God.

The only question I remember off the top of my head is 'Dear God, do you have a wife?' (how typical!) Some of the letters were funny, heartwarming, ridiculous (to adults), etc. But they were all innocent, honest and very pertinent.

Thanks to our dear friend Google, I found the book. It is 'Children's Letters to God' by Stuart Hample and Eric Marshall. I think it would make a great gift for any child you know who loves to read.

Some of my favourite letters were;


proof to support Eugene's letter

  • Dear God, I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset you made on tuesday. That was cool!...Eugene
  • Dear God, I went to a wedding and they kissed right in church. Is that okay?... Neil
  • Dear God, What does it mean you're a jealous God? I thought you had everything... Robert
  • Dear God, I think about you sometimes, even when I'm not praying... Elliot
  • Dear God, In Sunday school, they told us what You do. Who does it when you're on vacation?... Jane
Reminiscing about the book and the warm memories of my childhood and Sunday school it holds, I thought of a few questions I would ask God were I to write Him a letter...

  • Dear God, Why doesn't every Christian die old and in their sleep?
  • Dear God, If you are coming soon, why do we have to do hard stuff like go to school and work? (I know the practical answer to this... but what's the point?)
  • Dear God, Why are there more women than men in the world? Is it true that you never intended a one to one mapping?
  • Dear God, Are you our heavenly FATHER not mother cos the earthly mothers do an adequate job whilst the fathers...
  • Dear God, why do you allow good people to die young whilst some evil men remain?
What would you ask God in your letter?


Love,
Etoile

3 comments:

  1. Unforgettable, No, this is not God; and I'm sure you've heard this before but 'In His time'... Not a minute earlier. For now, He'll give you the strength and patience to await His time if you ask Him. He's listening...
    @ Julz: no more than you :)

    ReplyDelete