Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Sea and I... (and you?)


I miss the sea... It calls out my name. I long for the coolness of it's waters and the warmth of it's sand...

I long for the rhythm of it's waves, beating in tune with the drums from the calypso bar where chilled coconut juice and sweet, fresh palmie abound.

I long for the barely-there shade of coconut trees. Filtering the light and casting interesting shadows as you walk along the beach, your feet caressing the sand

I miss the tropical sunset when sea and sky meet and provide canvas for one of the most eloquent testimonies to the genius of God's art displayed in creation I know

I love the sea. I fear it too. I'm in awe of it's power and strength. Grateful for it's carriage of sustenance - I love seafood

Yet, terrified of it's power to crush and destroy; it's ability to be a calm lamb and raging beast, and the ability to change from one to the other without any warning

Wary, of it's power to suck people in and spit them out when it pleases; as if to remind us every now and then, I may allow you to swim and fish, but I remain king (...As if there was ever a question) 

I miss the inspiration that invariably comes listening to the waves, starring at the vast sea, and horizon... Inspiration to create... (procreate?)

Contemplating the universe and where I fit into the big picture of God's portrait of nature. Being humbled to prayer...




I miss the background music and stage props it provides for the most beautiful of love stories. Stripping us bare of florid coverings on our hearts and bodies... 


Teasing out the thoughts and feelings we so often miss and ignore with the hustle and bustle of everyday life...


Some of the most beautiful memories I have, were hosted by the sea. You were there, I remember and smile.


Yes, I really miss the sea... But, God help me, I miss you more :) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment