Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Daddy and I - Part III


Most people I know have horror stories about their stepmothers. Not I. I am not saying my step-mum was an angel or anything but she never gave me reason to lie awake at night plotting the cleanest way to get rid of her. It may have something to do with something my Dad said I did the first week she moved in that established the fact that we were on the same team.


My Dad tells me the first week my step-mum moved in, I scheduled a meeting with her and made her sign a crayon scribbled contract that said she wasn't going to leave or hurt papa like mama did. He said I told her I'd come get her if  I ever saw Papa sad. What can I say? Too many movies, I guess. But hey, it worked.


Auntie May (my step-mum) and I were a team. She had two children before marrying daddy and one of them, a girl only a year younger than me, came to live with us but I can confidently say I was and am her favourite daughter and I on the other hand, wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China, nor all the rubies in India. (Giving up the rubies will hurt a little more, though)


She taught me all the secret recipies she had used to capture Daddy and taught me the way to a man's heart was indeed through his stomach. of course, when I grew older, she explained that it was through his stomachs, both the upper stomach and the lower one ;).


When I got to University, She was prouder than a peacock who just won a beauty pageant. In my third year, and three children later (each with a different man), my biological mother called me. She cried crocodile tears and I was about to concede that she had changed when she dropped the bombshell - She wanted me to help her kick Auntie May out. She had seen the wrong in her ways and wanted Daddy back.


The nerve! I couldn't believe this woman. Fourteen years later! Needless to say, I told her what she needed to hear and I only refrained from saying more because of Ephesians 6:1-3. She called my younger sister who also gave her a piece of her mind.


on my wedding day, as dad went to his seat fighting tears after walking me down the aisle, I watched my step-mum pat his back with even bigger tears in her eyes. The pride and happiness on her face was almost blinding. And I looked to the back where my biological mother was sitting. Auntie May had invited her without my knowledge and begged me to let her stay because that alone would be punishment enough. Looking at my biological mother's pained expression, she couldn't have been more right.


As I looked back at Daddy and smiled at him, he mouthed 'I love you' and I turned to my groom and smiled. If he was half the father Daddy way, and I was half the woman my mother was (yes, I call Auntie May my mother because it takes more than an egg to be a mother), our children were going to be the luckiest kids on earth :) :) :)


And they lived happily ever after... Lol. How else was I going to end? The story is still being lived. :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment