Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year To You
Happy New Year to you!
May every great new day
Bring you sweet surprises--
A happiness buffet.
Happy New Year to you,
And when the new year’s done,
May the next year be even better,
Full of pleasure, joy and fun.

By Joanna Fuchs



This year has been an extremely eventful one. A lot happened that if anyone had told me beforehand, I would have said a la Nigerian, 'it's a lie!!!' I surprised myself a few times, found out a couple of things I'd never really noticed about myself, known great love, shed huge tears and learnt great lessons.

one lesson I think I will continue to learn each year is how gracious and faithful God is. My songs for this year have been 'Never failed me yet' by Jars of Clay and 'Great is your mercy' by Donnie Mcclurkin. I have sang these many a time as I walked to classes and exams all weary and anxious. And through it all, God has shown me His grace is indeed sufficient for me.

I realized I have quite a temper and being a person who tends to sigh more rather than speak out when wronged or offended doesn't help much in this regard. I have poured out bottled-up feelings on unsuspecting victims and truly learnt the meaning of the last straw breaking the camel's back because in my sober moments of reflection, I realized the offenses did not merit the outrages. 

I also realized I am not patient with certain things which is interesting because this same year someone called me the most patient person he knows. I guess It all has to do with motivation. As you can imagine, it is a new year resolution to work on these two kinks in my armor

This year was also a year of many tears. Seriously, I have never cried as much as I did this year, for as long as I can remember. My tear ducts seemed to believe tears were the best responses to betrayal, heartbreak, frustration, disappointment, anger  and fear. Most of my prayers were literally crying out to God and thank God, a broken heart and a contrite heart, my God does not reject. 

It was a year that had a lot of good too. New beginnings, love, rekindled friendships, so so blessings. What can I say? God is good!

I have had a great Christmas! I spent it with and old friend and her family and they are such warm people that it has felt like home. New year was ushered in at a quaint Ghanaian community methodist church where I got the opportunity to sing Methodist hymns, sing Ghanaian praise and worship songs and sing a testimony in church (what more can a girl ask for?)

I would never have done this last year but I have realized that I don't need to be Georg Friedrich Händel or Cece Winans to praise God. All I need is a pulse, a heartbeat and a heart filled with gratitude and by God, I will sing because God has been good to me and I have all three. *sings off*



No comments:

Post a Comment